Monday, February 2, 2009

A few days ago, I posted one of those silly 25 random things about me on Facebook. (Side note about Facebook--are we Facebook friends? Want to be?) Anyway, two of the things I listed were:

22. My clothes are terribly outdated and I am a walking fashion disaster. Winter is the worst since I haven't bought a new sweater in the past 5 years except for a lovely turtleneck from H&M that makes me feel like a million bucks.

23. Shoes are especially hard for me. I carry my running shoes with me so that I can go to the gym after work and I hate having to have special commuting shoes, so I always wear my Danskos or my Uggs all day long. I'm so over my shoes, but I also can't justify carrying around 3 pairs of shoes with me everyday.

Then, in an email to a friend the other day, I wrote:
I think for so long I've had so many people around me that I'm really learning how great it is to not be so scheduled or surrounded by people and am finally able to breathe a little. College was intense. People were everywhere and I felt like I had to always be "on" so to speak. Now, here in Boston, I can really relax and focus on me and it is awesome. I love that I am finally working out regularly and can spend my time thinking and dreaming, but not doing.

And then, this morning SCB (one of the best swap partners EVER who sent me a book about cupcakes AND a book about dessert places in NYC) posted about doing things for herself such as buying fresh flowers, going to the tanning bed and getting manicures.

So "me time" and things that make me feel good have been on my mind at least three times this weekend and today I actually did something about it.

I carried three pairs of shoes with me to work today. To commute, I wore my ever-faithful Danskos. Once I got to work, I put on my black boots. I don't often wear my favorite dresses and skirts because they only go with my black boots in winter and said boots are not commute-friendly. Now, I look great for the day. My third pair of shoes represents the ultimate in me time. My running shoes are waiting for 5:00 to roll around so that we can go the gym to put in a few miles.

(Side note--You know how you can't trust the calorie count on cardio machines? For instance, it will say that you burned 400 calories, but really you probably burned closer to 300. Can you trust the distance on machines? If it says 4 miles, did you really run 3 miles?)

Tonight when I get home I am going to make another batch of roasted chickpeas because I love them so. So does Amy! And then, I think I am going to apply some self-tanner. Yup. In February.

In the next four weeks, I will travel to NC for my college roommate's wedding, host my in-laws for 6 days (they are sleeping on our living room floor!), find an apartment in NYC and apply for thousands (ok, probably tens) of jobs and then, hopefully, interview. I've got a full month ahead, so I deserve to do things that make me feel good, yes?

6 comments:

  1. I would appreciate it if you would add in *mini roadtrip to Asheville with Absolute BFF*

    Thanks! I can't wait to actually see your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. you convince me to really start saying what I'm going to do and put it in action and do it.

    There's a definitely me time somewhere lurking in there for me.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! You rock!

    What self tanner are you using? I have never used any before...let me know if you like it.

    For me,my picker upper was, I went out at lunch and bought some pillows and i am going to finally put some pillow cases that we got from Greece on them this evening. I am quite excited about it.

    Safe travels to you...it sounds like you will be a busy bee!

    I like the Psalm4:4 "Commune with your own heart upon your bed"

    It is good to have a heart to heart with one's self now and then....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the do things for me. Today I got a much deserved pedicure! It really did help relax me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...only 19 days. I feel like my head is going to explode. We are slowly moving some of Nich's stuff so it won't have to come all at one time. Can't wait to see you!

    - celeste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh...only 19 days. I feel like my head is going to explode. We are slowly moving some of Nich's stuff so it won't have to come all at one time. Can't wait to see you!

    - celeste

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker