Thursday, February 12, 2009

Y'all, I have all kinds of cake batter and frosting coming into my life soon. Last night was Alicia's first cake decorating class and it was fabulous. Except for the fact that I need to go buy a Sam's Club amount of shortening and confectioner's sugar to make it through the next month, I am beyond excited. I also can't wait for the class to end and to put my new skills to the test making cakes and frosting that don't include Crisco or chemically food coloring. That's doable, right? Of course it is!

Still, for class I'll follow all the non-perishable frosting rules and I bought blue, pink and green gels to use in my frosting. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of that last time I colored frosting and turned everyone's mouth blue on Pref Night.

So the real adventure really began after we left class. Last night was wonderful--warm (I didn't wear a coat!) and foggy. We left Michael's excited about cakes, excited about warm air and excited about increasing our non-job-related skills.

Too much excitement sort of got us into trouble. You know, we've made the drive from Michael's to my apartment 3 or 4 times now. We've NEVER done it correctly. Oh, and yes, we do have directions. We always have directions. Apparently we also have terrible memories. Last time we attempted this drive, we wound up in Revere. Oh, and then underneath the Tobin Bridge by THE DOCKS! That was beyond scary.

True story: last night was scarier. So we're trucking along, getting increasingly lost (seriously--it's this one roundabout that is so confusing and we always take the wrong turn and both of us are terrible at getting places without getting lost) and we finally see some signs for Boston. We decide to follow those signs which spits us into a tunnel. Awesome. We decided to exit the tunnel at South Station because, surely, we're smart enough to get home from downtown, right? Um. Not so much.

Alicia comments that she doesn't know what South Station looks like from the outside and I tell her not to worry about it because I do. Um, whoops! While we're having this discussion, we pass not one, but two, DO NOT ENTER signs and drive into the bus terminal of South Station! So we pretty much start hyperventilating, praying that transit police won't be too upset, praying that we don't hit any buses and, eventually, it all works out. We take some scary turns and we're spit back out into downtown.

Now, the problem is that we're back where we started: somewhere downtown and we can't see the Pru. Oh yeah, this is how we get around. Find the Pru, find your house. We do, however, see Chinatown and know that if we can make it through Chinatown we'll be back in the right part of town. Only problem is--two girls in a car with no locks in Chinatown at 10 pm on a foggy night? Um, not a good idea. But, you know, because we're stupid, we do it anyway and we make it out alright. One sketchy red light later and we're by Copley. Hoorah we think--we know Copley.

Oh yeah, it keeps getting worse. From Copley we ended up following the E branch of the Green Line. NOT OKAY. The E line swerves off from all the others and we're slowly getting deeper and deeper into a neighborhood that we probably wouldn't visit the day let alone at night! Thankfully, we didn't really realize how unsafe we were until we were almost out of there. Sketchtastic.

Somehow we finally made it back downtown to what we knew. And then somehow we made it Comm Ave. and then somehow we made it to my apartment. Pretty terrifying, man. Pretty terrifying.

7 comments:

  1. Sketchtastic! Glad you made it home safely:-)

    I wanna make this cake: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/meal-time/rainbow-cakeslinks-n-slingks-surreptitious-web-links-to-other-good-sites--074369

    I can't wait to see your cake baking skillz..........

    you have y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to the Michael's in Braintree???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Everett. That's a tough one (directionally speaking) I'm not a big fan of the North Shore, kind of like driving in a foreign country to me.
    Braintree is very easy, and there's a Target right off the highway in South Bay.
    I took the Michael's cake decorating course (1 only) in Braintree. It was most helpful and I hated the crisco frosting. I just couldn't get myself to make it so I used butter and we ate a lot of cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like a scary/interesting night! Glad you guys made it home safe!

    I also wanted to let you know I am fiiinally finishing Terrified of Fish this weekend! I know, like 3 months later.. I got a little sidetracked.. ha! Your recipe is next up! So, look for that post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just wanted to check and see if you received your first Real Simple issue yet and also wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I NEVER trust you with the directions! =) I mean...I love you, but I will always put my money on you getting us lost!

    ~Absolute BFF!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker