Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Help!

So here's the thing, dear readers....

I have long wanted to own a company or a store. I'm a handy little business-woman, if I do say so myself. Now that I have a job with benefits, I feel like I can definitely start dreaming up what I'd really like to do with the rest of my life.

I have big ideas. I have some business and retail experience, but I don't know how to get started.

While I'd like to own a store (and may end up doing that), I'd really like to own a company that produces cute, preppy, fun things that are made with fair labor (preferably in the US) and utilize sustainable materials. It bothers me that responsibly produced items are usually sort of dingy-colored or made of bark. You could easily make some sustainable grosgrain ribbon or polka dots and I think people would buy it.

So how do I do it, dear readers? Do you know of anyone I could talk to about this side of business and how to get started?

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a clue where to start, but I want to cheer you on! I am also on a quest to start a business, but haven't been able to figure out where to start. I hope you get some answers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel Ann, it's Claire from way back in RCHS days. I don't know anyone you could talk to right off the bat, but I think you would definitely be filling a niche. I work for the Office of Sustainability at UF, and last semester, we couldn't find any place to order sustainable ribbon for a big project.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear! Feel free to email me anytime at ncsulilwolf@gmail.com to follow up or for more info (offer applies to any of your blog readers, too). Step 1: Start with a business plan. There are lots of great FREE resources to do this. I'd first start with your local SBA (Small Business Association) or SCORE. Start there, and then we'll talk next steps! Feel free to email me any starts to your business plan and I'll be glad to help!

    Your business plan will be necessary for any future steps and you can always go back and revise or add to it!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker