Saturday, July 19, 2008

Recipes

Most of my culinary experiments come out pretty well. For instance, Mama, Sis-in-Law and Sis-in-Law's Mama all thought my homemade tortillas and hummus was pretty darn tasty...and Sis-in-Law doesn't even like hummus!

But the one thing that has consistently failed me is homemade pizza. I know, right? Homemade pizza is so easy. Well, here's the thing--when we decide we want pizza, we want it then. I love baking other yeasty things, but hate waiting for pizza dough to rise.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, last night we found our homemade pizza. I used this recipe from Apartment Therapy and it was delicious. We ate it and I forgot to take pictures.

The crust is just like old-school Pizza Inn thin crust--you know the kind they made into crackers? You could fold it in half, but it was still crackly on the crust.

So good. Ours were not 12", but probably more like 9-10" or however large a dinner plate is. We each had a quarter can of pineapple and a quarter cup of mozzarella. Yummy.

Also, last week Lauren asked for my blueberry muffin recipe. I use the basic recipe from the Joy of Cooking and sub in half whole-wheat flour and use unbleached all-purpose flour for the other half.

Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Whisk together in another bowl:
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2/3 cup sugar (although I'm almost positive I used less)
1/4 cup melted butter (use 1/2 cup if you freeze or eat the muffins the next day)
1 tsp vanilla

Add to the flour mixture and mix together with a few light strokes just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Throw in the blueberries (I don't measure--I just add a lot!). Do not overmix; the batter should not be smooth. Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups, bake at 400F for 17-20 minutes until they pass the toothpick test. Let cool 5 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I can't wait to try it.

    I hope you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker