Thursday, July 10, 2008

Menu Planning

I need a good place to store our menu plans each week and if I'm going to type them out at all, I figured I should put them out here for the world to see. Why? Who knows. It just made sense to me.

Anyway, here's our plan for the week ahead. We usually have 4 main dishes over 8 days (with leftovers on the off days). For breakfast, I have a blueberry/banana/strawberry/peanut butter/soy milk smoothie and Nathan has...well, I don't know. Cream of wheat, perhaps? He wakes up after I do.

For lunch we eat leftovers. So here we go...this week's big meals are:

Burritos (peppers, onion, black beans, corn and tofu) with homemade spinach tortillas; topped with lettuce, tomato and cheese

Quiche (veggie burger, mushroom and basil); salad; homemade bread

Pineapple pizza (homemade sauce and crust)

Broiled salmon salad (marinated in lime juice and spices)

All bread products are made with at least half whole-wheat flour (sometimes more) and I try to buy fresh and local vegetables whenever possible. I am a sucker for Trader Joe's frozen fruit though--hence my daily smoothies.

To round out our meals, we're also having homemade salsa with chips and Edy's ice cream is on super sale again this week at Stop and Shop. We're partial to the low-fat mint.

For the weekend I'm making homemade whole-wheat blueberry muffins and I'm also going to whip up some homemade Bisquick for days we want special breakfasts without too much fuss (like when Yankee BFF comes to visit in a few weeks!).

I have a plan to get us eating locally, seasonally and sustainably in five years. This is just the beginning, but I think we're doing pretty well so far (minus that Edy's!).

1 comment:

  1. Okay, when can I come over for dinner!? I am glad you all have a system that works.

    Do you think you can share the recipe for the whole wheat blueberry muffins? We eat whole wheat bread, pasta, and brown rice, but I have a hard time finding recipes that use whole wheat flour.

    I hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker