Thursday, August 28, 2008

SnB

I tried out a knitting group last night. It was held in a Somerville craft studio, so I figured it would be hip, but I don't think I was prepared for just how hip it would be.

Let's start at the beginning. I'm a knitter. My mother, I would say, is a Knitter. These women were Knitters. Lace? Yes. Beading? Yes. Bat shaped lace? Why, yes. Intarsia? Yes. Argyle? Yes.

They seemed a little out of my league. Seriously, they were engaged in some sort of Ravelry knitting competition.

Also, they've all known each other for a long time and are a close group and I'm just not sure they want other people joining the group. Only 3 people introduced themselves and no one asked what I was knitting.

And just to let you know, I actually tried. I told stories about that time Nathan and I hid mustard in the Rome airport and a special I watched on the British History Channel in Bulgaria about leprosy. I'm engaging. I'm interesting. (I think)

Oh well. At least I went. Next week I'm going to try a group closer to home.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliement, dear (Knitter), but sorry about your evening...group dynamics are something, aren't they? I don't think most folks in an established group realize how exclusionary they can be. I hope you enjoy the next one better. And you are a VERY interesting person! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what...maybe you are TOO interesting for those people! I mean...who can compete with the mustard smuggling story?!?! I think...NO ONE!

    Give the other one a try...I hope it is better!

    miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for trying the group. I always feel like a fish out of water walking into a group of people who already know each other. You are amazingly interesting, and I've got to hear that mustard story sometime! :) Keep looking, you'll find your place soon! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker