Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm so, so tired

Well, we have made it to the end of our second work weeks in New York and I am tired. Insanely tired. At least one of us has had plans every night this week. My house still isn't finished. I need a library card (I'm running out of books I own that I care to re-read right now) and I need to convert my gym membership. We're going to Ikea tomorrow, but before that the apartment needs to be cleaned (I only unpacked last weekend--no cleaning) and we're still trying to find a worship service to attend Sunday morning.

On top of all that stuff that would make anyone tired, my insides are tired. My soul is tired. I want to feel settled and I want to stop moving and I want some me (or, rather, me and Nathan) time to fall into my lap somehow.

Being away from family on holidays is sort of terrible. Last spring, we were in Istanbul during western Easter and eastern Easter was a fun, but strange to us, experience. We've been invited over for Easter lunch on Sunday and that's exciting, but it's still hard to not be with your family and your foods and your people on Easter. Easter requires some yummy down-home food and a sunrise service that makes you feel so happy you cry followed by biscuits. Period. That's what you need. Oh, and you need to flower the cross. That's also pretty important.

I guess you actually don't need those things--at least I hope not because they seem to be in short supply here in New York. This Easter will involve high church services and bagels and trips to NJ. I guess we'll start carving out our own Easter traditions.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get that well-deserved rest. It's not always easy getting adjusted, but in due and soon time you will. The fun part about it, just like you said is making your own traditions. BTW, google some churches in your area and maybe a schedule and what denomination will pop up. Keep looking, you'll find one. Congratulations on your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can develop new traditions and still cherish the ones you grew up with. And there will be times when you will be able to visit during Easter. The biscuits will be waiting. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker