Friday, April 3, 2009

Thoughts on NYC

1. I love being Southern up here (at least at my job). They have all these fun perceptions of me and of my accent. Apparently, they really like the fact that I can speak to people firmly and kick them out of conference rooms, but the firmness is "tempered" by my accent. Hilarious.

2. I saw my first honest-to-goodness NYC rat this week. Good word--that thing was the size of Miss Marple (who is, in fact, a rather small cat--but, still!). The rat was in 42nd Street Station, which brings me to point number 3:

3. Oh my goodness, Sis-in-Law told me I would hate 42nd Street and I DO! I have totally reformatted the commute after one day of that craziness. Why so many ramps? I mean, at one point, you walk up 5 flights of stairs. Fine. I can do that. So why throw crazy ramps in the middle to totally wipe out on in heels? Why?

4. I sort of hate hopstop.com. I know that makes me all colors of a freak, but, here's the deal--HopStop gives you one option to get somewhere and it keeps being through 42nd Street. I mean, I guess it's a useful tool for tourists, but, seriously, the MTA trip Planner and Google Maps both give subway directions as well--with 3-4 options. Now that I love.

5. I get a little less lost every day. I still walk the wrong way for about a block a day, but I'm working on it. I've figured out where I live at least.

6. Well, we still haven't totally figured out what neighborhood we live in. It's too far north to be Washington Heights and it's too far south to be Inwood. We're thinking it is Fort Washington? Good word. What is it with me and moving to cities and not really knowing what neighborhood I live in?

7. Our neighborhood just keeps getting happier and happier. There are lots of strollers and children in our neighborhood. It's a good place to have babies--if you're Jewish.

8. Oh yes, living in Jewish neighborhoods is one of Rachel Ann's top tips for city living. You know why? The People don't form gangs. They rarely, if ever, shoot each other. You can get good bagels. There are families.

9. Just an FYI for all of you still confused, we live in Manhattan, NOT Brooklyn. The Brooklyn apartment fell through.

10. I am loving my job. Obvi, I can't tell you exactly what I do or where, but I will say that I read hundreds of resumes a day and I work in a segment of fashion. Whoohoo! The work is interesting and dynamic and all of my stereotypes about this type of environment have totally been fulfilled. I am so not fashionable, y'all. I told BFF that the other night and she laughed and said that was funny because I'm the most fashionable person she knows. Notsomuch. I shop at Gap. I own no pairs of Ferragamos or even, I think, knock-offs, I mean, inspired pieces. I need beaded jewelry and a few more ruffles apparently. This is what everyone in my office is wearing these days. So, good blog people, where do you buy your fashionable stuff on the (fairly) cheap? Apparently, I need to inject my wardrobe with a few key trendy pieces.

So that's the update from wherever it is we live on this fine Friday morning. I can hear Nathan shaving and Miss Marple is napping at the foot of the bed. Oh yes, I'm still in bed.

I hope to have pictures up this weekend. The real internet is set up tomorrow and I'll be unpacking all weekend long, so hopefully that all works out. Happy Friday, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new NYC city life! Jc-Penny's is the best for cheap trendy stuff-hands down. They always have stuff on sale. For example-I got an 80 dollar maxi-dress (total trend piece) for 40 bucks!

    Hope your new apartment is spiffy!

    Love,
    Amanda and Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. try H&M (you probably had those in Boston). Also: my college best friend lives up there and is in fashion. while she does splurge from time to time, she buys alot from street vendors ie: when the giant sparkling strawberry necklaces on chains were HUGE last summer and sold at bloomies/saks for $150 ... she got one in lucite for $10 from a street vendor. (I'm glad that trend never hit down south. It looked like adults were trying to be strawberry shortcake!)

    happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUMMER that you're not in Brooklyn, for alliterative purposes only, but also good to know, because I was totally in the wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is still for the limited. I'm a hard core fan for life! Find out if one is near you and I'll send you the next round of coupons I get. I got a so cute its sick pencil skirt with a ruffle down the side for bank! And it makes my derriere look fab!

    Also...I need to talk wedding looks with you. I've thrown together another option that is still channeling old school LC. We will talk this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you love your new place. What an adventure to get to live in NYC! Shoot me your new contact info when you have a chance.
    - Lori in ATL

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker