Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oh my. Do you ever have those days when you just feel trapped and you need to run to the beach? It's like my biorhythms need to be realigned with the tide.

I feel trapped today and I'm pretty close to the ocean. I could be there in less than 45 minutes. This is why I could never live in the Midwest. How do y'all do it? How is it possible to live more than 4 hours from a beach?

Anyway, I woke up this morning craving one of my college rituals. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, a sorority sister and I would meet for bagels and coffee. I miss having that dedicated time to hang out. I miss having control over my time. I don't really miss a ton about college--I was pretty burnt out by the end--but I do miss being the master of my schedule and the ability to do things when I wanted to do them.

I would say I definitely did not fritter away my time in college. Far from it--I was probably a bit too involved. I was always dashing from meetings to office hours to class to the library, but I made sure to always schedule some time for coffee and bagels or tutoring or watching Matlock with Nathan.

It was a good four years and I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time recapturing that now. Who knew sitting at a desk would be so exhausting? I leave work, work out and then, by the time we make it home, the day is over. Done-zo. At least, thanks to Daylight Savings Time, the sun is still out when I leave work. It's a nice change of pace. I still have to work so hard to come home and feel like getting things done.

I'm sure things will be better after the move and after the days get longer. True story: Sunday was an unbelievably gorgeous day in Boston and I got sick. I walked around outside for about 10 minutes before I had to come back home. I cried that night. I told Nathan that I'm pretty sure I deserved a spring day because all winter long I have not complained, I've bundled up without a word, I've found the beauty in the snow and ignored the slush. I'm pretty sure I deserved that day.

Oh well. At least I recovered enough to venture out into yesterday's snow.

4 comments:

  1. i HEAR you about the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy the nice weather. Luckily there are more to come! Keep going with that great positive attitude that you have and it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy living far from the ocean. Especially since I grew up on Cape Cod, with a beach for a back yard (literally), and have lived in Boston or New York my whole life. I guess we have lakes and ponds in Vermont, but it's not the same.
    At least I can still visit my Dad, who lives right on the ocean on CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker