Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yesterday was a no good, very bad day until I got home and walked with Nathan to Trader Joe's to pick up groceries for Rounds 2 and 3 of HGS2K8.

Everyone at work was sort of in a bad mood and it was chilly and I was in a funk.

Today is the exact opposite. Today is an excellent day. Today I drank a cup of pumpkin spice tea in a new china tea cup with a magnolia on it that my mother sent to me from the Replacements, Ltd. yard sale.

Today it is warmer than yesterday (or at least less windy).

Today I woke up in a bed with a mattress pad on it. (Yes, Monday night when I changed our sheets I forgot to put a mattress pad on the bed. I was too tired to fix it then so I remade the bed last night).

Today I'm really thankful that I live in America where it's okay to not share the same political opinions as my co-workers.

Today I received a great email from my Daddy which included this mini-essay on giving and genorosity. This is his commentary followed by the anonymous essay:

A while back I read a book by Kirk Nowery entitled Revolutionary Generosity. In the chapter on Revolutionary Contribution: Putting Your Money Where Your Heart Is, Nowery cites the following mini-essay from an anonymous writer. I’d like to share it with you as we begin to prepare for this Sunday’s worship:

Can we, who have so much, be touched by those who have so little? Can full stomachs hear the hollow echo of the empty? Can a people drunk on personal freedom, human rights and civil rights, adequately understand those who are held by famine and hunger? Can we who are held captive by our gadgets, entertained by TV, seduced by Hollywood, victimized by our own success, be touched by those who search frantically for individual gains of rice to fill their now-empty bowls. Can we, whose ears are in tune with sound by Pioneer, Sony or Panasonic, hear the plaintive cries of the child in San Paulo, the wailings of a young mother standing above a freshly dug grave in India, or the broken sobs of a father recently bereaved to raise six kids in San Salvador? Actually, who are the deaf, the blind, the crippled, the hungry? We are! You and I! We have eyes that cannot see, hearts that cannot feel, ears that cannot hear, hands that cannot move and a hunger that cannot be satisfied! But it is not too late. We can change! We can alter the charted course of the starving, empty, lonely peoples of our world … God help us to have a growing sensitivity to those around us. May he open our hearts, our eyes and our hands on behalf of a hurting world. (p.75-76)

Today I'm going yarn shopping and thrifting before going out to coffee with friends.

Today I'm excited that it is only two days until C & A fly into Boston for 5 days of fun!

Today everything seems to be clicking right along and I could not be happier!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are having a better day today. How did you mom like the Replacements Yard Sale?! I really wanted to go but I didn't make it.

    I hope you have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete

Newlyweds!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker